Animal Control

Contact Information
Contact:  Jeffrey Cooper
Phone:  (207) 353-2500 Ext. 1
Tuesday  8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Wednesday  8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Thursday  8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Friday  8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Saturday  8:00 am – 4:00 pm

Animal Control Responses:

Sometimes there is confusion with regard to how to get in touch with our Animal Control Officer, and what tasks and functions are handled in the State of Maine by an Animal Control Officer.  We are hopeful that some of the below information will help with any questions that you may have.      

Need Help?

Any persons requiring the assistance of the Animal Control Officer should contact the Lisbon Police Department at (207) 353-2500, Ext 1.  If the ACO is on the road, callers may request a call back and leave a message on the ACO’s voicemail. 

Types of calls handled by the Animal Control Officer:

Animal Control Officers in the State of Maine are charged with handling “domestic” animal complaints and issues.  Animal Control Officers are licensed and regulated by the State of Maine’s Department of Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry.   (Title 7 § 3941 through § 3950-A)

Some of the most common examples of animal control complaints are:

  • Dog at large
  • Animal welfare/cruelty complaints
  • Suspected rabid animals
  • Injured animals
  • Dog bites

Calls outside of normal business hours?

Examples of calls that will elicit a response outside of normal business hours are:

  • Dog bites
  • Dogs hit by a vehicle and no owner is available
  • Loose horses or livestock in the roadway
  • Bats in a home
  • Suspected rabid animals 

Calls that ARE NOT handled by the Animal Control Officer:

Animal Control Officers are not licensed to trap nuisance wildlife.  For nuisance wildlife, you should contact the Maine Warden Service by phone at (207) 287-8000 for a list of local Animal Damage Control (ADC) Agents. 

What is an Animal Damage Control (ADC) Agent?

  • ADC Agents are not paid by the State and operate as independent contractors working for themselves or other wildlife control businesses.
  • ADC Agents are licensed and regulated by the State Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.
  • ADC Agents are charged with resolving conflicts between people and wildlife.
  • ADC agents do not handle domestic animal calls.